I recently read an article on ABC7Chicago.com about a young college student named Brittney Dever decided to save a little money and go to a non licensed individual to get her hair done.
The result was horrifying for her!
For $60 dollars she got what she thought was a nice weave, but…
“Two weeks later, I was lying down, and there was blood on my pillow,” she said.
Can you imagine?
The article goes on to say that Brittney suffered from a scalp infection.
How could this have happened from a regular sew- in weave? The stylist they interviewed hit the nail right on the head!
1. The hair could have been pulled way too tight. When this happens the scalp starts to swell and could possibly split causing an open sore which is a gateway for infection.
2. Dirty tools! Sanitation is so important when it comes to clients and your own personal protection. In cosmetology school sanitation is emphasized and especially at state board. One wrong move could cost someone their life!
So…is it worth the savings?
Obviously not, but there is a clear lesson learned. Cheaper is not always better when it comes to your hair. As a client you should expect to pay more for premium service. Do your research, don't just take someone else's word. Be very picky with who you choose to do your hair.
Licensed Cosmetologists are licensed for a reason. Most of us have been trained for over 1000 hours depending on the state we live. Not all stylists are safe stylist, but most of us are, so do your research and trust your instincts!
I'm interested to hear what you have to say!